House Parents - Leakey, TX
House Parents - Leakey, TX
We work with abused and orphaned children in our residential placement in Ingram and Leakey, Texas.
- Teach constructive behavior and social skills.
- Teach realistic problem-solving behaviors, and life skills.
- Teach good personal hygiene skills.
- Reinforce positive behavior by providing healthy, positive incentives for residents.
- Oversee daily chores and room checks.
- Ensure cleanliness of all cabin areas.
- Complete behavioral logs daily to document progress and activities completely and accurately.
- Document all serious incidents completely, accurately, and in a timely manner.
- Follow reporting and notification protocol for serious incidents.
- Maintain positive culturally competent relationships with residents and staff.
- Provide input into development of treatment plans as appropriate.
- Utilize trauma informed consequences when redirecting resident behavior.
- Maintain and uphold appropriate boundaries with residents and staff at all times.
- Be a positive role model for residents.
- Provide proper SAMA procedures and guidelines as trained.
- Gain a working knowledge of policies.
- Possess maturity, sense of confidence and emotional stability.
- Ability to adhere to DFPS Client Youth Rights, Minimum Standards, contractor and funder requirements.
- Other job duties as assigned.
- Adhering to safety training and protocols on a daily basis, and taking precautionary measure to ensure the safety and well-being of self, others.
Shift Specific Expectation & Responsibilities:
- Help wake residents and supervise morning routine.
- Dispense Hygiene Items to Residents.
- Supervise morning chores (spray cleaning products for residents) and room checks.
- Prepare and serve breakfast and assist residents during breakfast clean up.
- Process medications from pharmacy.
- Dispense medications.
- Drop residents off at school when school is in session.
- Complete end of shift duties example: ensure cabin is clean, check medication books for accuracy, and turn in paperwork such as incident reports and progress notes.
- Conduct assigned bed checks throughout the night
- Check refrigerators/pantry for expired food items
- Prepare and set out breakfast for residents
- Wake up residents and assist with morning routine and supervision of residents.
- Prepare logs, needs requests, inventory, and resident binders
- Process and dispense any medications
- Complete daily med audit and email to appropriate personnel
- Assist with completing necessary household chores such as dishes, laundry sweeping etc.
The ideal candidate will have the following competencies
- Critical Thinking
- Solution Oriented
- Stress Management
- Associate’s Degree Preferred in a Human Services Field, Education, and Psychology etc. Minimum High School Diploma or GED.
- Minimum of 6 month experience in human services field or Child Welfare Field working with children and adolescents preferred not required.
- License and Credentials
- Reliable transportation
- Valid driver license
- Valid vehicle insurance
Minimum Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience with computer software
- A solid grasp of Trauma Informed Care
- Must be detail oriented, organized, self-motivated, work well independently and on a team;
- Must have good written and verbal skills;
- Must have good critical thinking and problem solving skills.